CNHS Media

The Student News Site of Columbus North High School

CNHS Media

CNHS Media

Follow Us on Twitter

A Start to Spring

As spring approaches, people all around town are looking for ways to get outside and enjoy nature. Sophomore Kate Riordan enjoys going hiking once the weather warms up.

“I’ve hiked a few times in Columbus and Brown County,” Riordan said. “It’s a good way to exercise and spend some time outdoors.”

Since 1986, Brown County’s T.C. Steele State Historic Site has held a Wildflower Foray in honor of the start of spring. This year, the thirty-third annual Wildflower Foray will be held from April 27 to 29. Riordan may be attending.

“I heard about the Wildflower Foray for the first time this year,” Riordan said. “My family already might attend, since we already enjoy those types of activities and this is another way that we can participate in them.”

The Foray is a weekend-long event featuring hiking, boat trips, photography excursions, and programs showcasing Indiana’s flora and fauna. A major focus will be the flower Brown County is most famous for: spring ephemerals.

“I don’t know much about the plants and animals native to the Brown County area, but it would be interesting to learn more about them,” Riordan said.

During the event, experienced hike leaders and nature specialists will be present to guide new participants in the activities. Twenty-four different hikes and programs will be available throughout the three days.

“This seems like a really great [event],” Riordan said. “Even if I can’t attend this year, I hope to be able to go sometime in the future.”