CNHS Media

The Student News Site of Columbus North High School

CNHS Media

CNHS Media

Follow Us on Twitter

Aiming for AP

We’ve all heard about Advanced Placement (AP) classes, we may even aim to take some during our high school career. Our plan could be to start taking AP classes junior year. We’ll take an AP math class, an english, perhaps even a science. The same thing will happen again senior year. But what are AP classes really like? Are they worth it?

Advanced Placement courses are 2 semester classes students can take and receive college credit for. In order to receive credit, you must take the AP exam and pass with a three or higher. CNHS offers more than 15 AP courses, the majority only available to juniors and seniors. However, sophomore Yestika Nischol took AP Physics her freshman year.

“The class was really challenging,” she says, “But I’m glad I took it.” Senior Emma Lawson is another student who is glad she has taken Advanced Placement classes.

“By now I think I prefer my AP classes,” she says. The bulk of Lawson’s courses are Advanced Placement this school year. She is taking five different classes, and her reasoning for taking them is to help with college or improve proficiency in certain academic areas. Similar to Nischol, Lawson believes that the work is more taxing than regular high school classes she has taken in the past.

“The content is definitely harder,” Lawson says, “But most of my teachers understand that we have other assignments.” The work might be more demanding, but now that she is used to the workload and what it requires, Lawson says her classes don’t cause her as much stress, saying instead that “applying to colleges” and the “senior project” are her primary stress inducers.

If you are thinking about taking Advanced Placement classes, many people who would say it is a good choice. “I would recommend starting out with one or two,” Lawson says, “Just to get used to the pace.” There are many course options to decide from, ranging from social studies to science to math to music and even world languages. Many students take the classes based on what their desired college degree is and some students just try to knock out college freshman courses. Lawson says, “There are many benefits to taking them [AP classes].”