CNHS Media

The Student News Site of Columbus North High School

CNHS Media

CNHS Media

Follow Us on Twitter

Once an Olympian, Always a Bull Dog

A new day. A new start. This is what it was like in the eyes of a former Olympian, and new Bull Dog. Freshmen Alexa Navarro explains what it is like to transfer to a new school halfway through the year, and what her favorite things are about the change.

“My transfer from Columbus East, to Columbus North was a very overwhelming experience, but was amazing.It was very welcoming, and I was introduced with open arms. It was immediately a safe place,” Navarro said.  

Maybe it has to do with the three R’s of the Bull Dog way: respect, responsibility, and relationships. Not everything was the same, including her education which she felt more of a need for at East.

“I transferred to CNHS, because I felt a lack of education at East. East was definitely at a slower pace than North,” Navarro said.  “East had mostly busy work and I could get it done in like five minutes. North is more fast paced in their education,  but they have such a great learning style. My classes are now more enjoyable, and I am learning more information every day.”  

Being a new student would not be a perfect fit without a couple of obstacles. Many students that have been here all year have trouble finding things like the Nurse’s Office, technology lab, and even certain hallways by their number. Many things changed for Alexa during the switch, but she soon started to get used to the flow of things.

“My classes changed completely, it was insane to go from a low standard environment to one of honors classes and higher ability learning styles,”  Navarro said.

In addition to academic changes, there were also some procedure changes from East to here.

“One of the things I enjoyed about East, and I wish North had was a resource floor. It gave us a source of freedom where anybody on that floor of the school was free to go around to the other rooms and see friends,” Navarro said.

Our school provides multiple resource options for their students to provide a study time during the eight hour day. Navarro is happy about her decision.

“My overall transfer experience has been amazing,” Navarro said. “I have made some amazing friends, and I would not switch back for anything.”