CNHS Media

The Student News Site of Columbus North High School

CNHS Media

CNHS Media

Follow Us on Twitter

Pride in Performing

A cloud of nerves, confidence and fear floats above the rows of actors onstage as they wait for their chance to perform. Auditions for North’s winter play “Pride and Prejudice” were Oct. 14-15 with rehearsals for the actors beginning the following week. The show has a cast of 40 people, including junior Grace Hester, who landed the role of the main character, Elizabeth Bennet.

“The auditions were a lot of fun, I enjoy auditions,” Hester said. “I wasn’t really as worried about getting a good part, I just was excited about the experience. I was just hoping that I could have some role in the play because it’s such a great story.”

Hester was in both “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and “Pirates of Penzance” last year and looks forward to portraying her character in “Pride and Prejudice.”  

“I think that Elizabeth Bennet is one of the most fantastic female literary characters of all time. It’s frightening, but I’m very excited, too. I think it’s an honor to get to play her,” Hester said. “As an actor, I’m excited for getting inside the mindset of the character, and feeling and seeing what it was to live as Elizabeth Bennet.”  

A feature of this performance is the extra opportunity for students to see it. Plans are being made so students may be able to watch parts of the performance and learn about the story of “Pride and Prejudice” during their English classes.

“It’s such a great story; it’s a classic,” Hester said. “You get so much history and culture from the experience. It’s Jane Austen’s first ever rom-com, and everybody needs to, at some point, see it or read it.”

Freshman Julia Iorio shares similar feelings about her role and the show.

“I’m Kitty, so I’m the second to youngest sister. She’s very gossipy, very flighty, and very all over the place,” Iorio said.  

Her role fits right alongside sister Elizabeth Bennet, although it was a different experience for Iorio getting it.

“All the other shows I had auditioned for were [at] Northside, so the North auditions were more serious,” Iorio said.

Both Hester and Iorio’s leading roles work together to play up the elements of romance and comedy in the show.

“It’s a romantic comedy, and it’s centered on the Bennet family, mainly the second oldest daughter Elizabeth. It’s kind of like the romantic adventures of everyone in the family,” Iorio said. “It’s hilarious and the main character is very sarcastic and very relatable. Everyone will love her.”

The look of the show will match the actors as well.

“I think the costumes and the set will be very, very, cool and we’re ordering costumes so it will be authentic,” Iorio said.

Overall, both Hester and Iorio recommend attending and supporting North’s drama department in the upcoming play “Pride and Prejudice.”

“Everybody come see it because it’s going to be great!” Hester said.