CNHS Media

The Student News Site of Columbus North High School

CNHS Media

CNHS Media

Follow Us on Twitter

Kids at Play

Ever since it was started in 1972, North’s football team has won sectionals four times, regionals three times and league championships three times. Now, the team is giving back to the community in hopes of replicating that success. Head football coach Timothy Bless finds the Police Athletic Activities League (PAAL) helpful in organizing Youth Football, an event that prepares kids for advanced-level football. 

“PAAL has their own website and their own communication system and networking with other schools,” Bless said. “[They are] trying to get children and parents aware of sign-ups and so on.”

With the organization’s involvement in Youth Football, sophomore Matthew Hager, who is a cornerback and receiver on the football team, believes that the program will be beneficial to those who are interested in playing in high school.

“[Youth Football’s] just learning the basics of the sport and all the right fundamentals for when you go on to higher age groups and more physical leagues,” Hager said.

Math teacher Jason Perry, who is a PAAL coach, also agrees that the program will help people become acquainted with the sport.

“Kids in Columbus don’t get good at football when they start in ninth grade,” Perry said. “We need to create a program for high schools to help get kids into football, help kids to stay excited about football and to learn the fundamentals.”

Youth Football is a way to have kids get used to football, and North junior varsity football coordinator Harvey Scruggs believes that it will play a significant role in middle school and high school football.

“It’s our future. If our Youth Football program is a success, then our middle schools and high schools will be a success,” Scruggs said.