CNHS Media

The Student News Site of Columbus North High School

CNHS Media

CNHS Media

Follow Us on Twitter

North vs. East Swimming

Sports rivalries between schools are typically thought to elicit a competitive spirit between the two schools, especially the North versus East rivalry. And while most swim meets are intense for both swimmers and observers, swimmers’ annual rivalry meet actually has a less competitive and more laid-back atmosphere. Sophomore Blake Day is one of the swimmers who competed at the meet on Tuesday, December 4th.

Stress levels at the meet were “very low because they’re an easy team to beat,” Day said.

Despite the low pressure of the meet, the Bull Dogs were still able to come out on top. The boys had a final score of 133-52, while the girls’ final score was 120-65.

“We destroyed them,” Day said.

According to Day, North swimming has a long history of defeating their cross-town rivals.

“North wins because most of the time, if you’re a swimmer you come to North,” Day said.

However, a few other nearby schools provide more of a challenge. According to Day, some of the more competitive schools in the area include Bloomington South and Center Grove.

“Bloomington South has beat us the last 3 years in sectionals with us coming in second place,” Day said.

A few events in particular have an exceptionally promising season. These include the 100 breast, 100 back, and 500 free, Day stated.

Despite their fears, North still has a potential to have a great season.

“Our goal is to beat Bloomington South at sectionals, which we can do if we work even harder than we are now,” Day said.