CNHS Media

The Student News Site of Columbus North High School

CNHS Media

CNHS Media

Follow Us on Twitter

No Distractions: Studying In Progress

I personally believe study groups can be helpful if you are with the right people. I also believe that there are 3 different types of study groups; the first is the students who usually need the most help but don’t ever get anything done, the second kind of group is the kids that plan to study but, end up being too busy so they never actually all meet up and the third group is the rare group one that I’m not really apart of often, this is the group that all they do is study a topic and there isn’t a lot of socializing and from my experience, it’s mostly from not knowing the other people very well.

Study groups help so much if you actually get things done but, the hardest part is focusing only on school work.  For me, that might have to do with my ADHD. I participate in very small study groups a few times a month. I have found that if there are a few people around to help me, it becomes difficult to get sidetracked compared to if you’re sitting in a school type setting, because if you get too comfortable many things could go wrong. There are still good things about being in a study group though, I would say the best part of being in a study group is being able to have a conversation on the topics you don’t understand in class.

I have read many articles that all mention how great study groups are but, there is always the big warning about getting off topic in the group and not completing the task. There are huge benefits to being in study groups. Each student has their own understandings in class and helping each other understand content will save you time. With more people, you can cover more content by splitting up your work. The biggest thing is choosing the right people who will stay focused and help you stay focused.