CNHS Media

The Student News Site of Columbus North High School

CNHS Media

CNHS Media

Follow Us on Twitter

Journalism, a Piece of Cake

Journalism is not simple. Journalists abide by laws, have public speaking, get awards and make a difference. What of the most impactful events to occur is a tragedy. Tragedy is apart of life. You live and you learn. Someone once told me that if you can’t stomach it, you are not ready to write about it. From car accidents to house fires to an opioid case, there will be an uneasy feeling. It is how you handle the situation that makes all the difference.

When I hear people sign up for beginning publication course or photojournalism, they say, “this will be a piece of cake,” but is it really? As a journalism student, I take the jobs and tasks we have very seriously. Not only is the environment hard-working, it is also a lot of fun. You meet dozens of people throughout your journey as a journalist. You will interview people and get to know them on deeper levels than you have ever expected. You will build friendships and learn about how censorship is important, and why it matters.

I love being apart of the journalism community. Over the course of the year, I have met students from different schools, different states and got to know the kids in my own class a lot better. I cherish these courses, because students in many other schools, don’t have the freedom I do. It is fun; it is important, but it is not easy.