CNHS Media

The Student News Site of Columbus North High School

CNHS Media

CNHS Media

Follow Us on Twitter

Homework Overloads

Schools around the world hand homework out, but do the teachers really think about what kids have going on after school? Most kids have activities to attend to, teens are applying to colleges and working after school. Kids stay up late trying to accomplish all these tasks and in the process are losing sleep over stuff they could be spending time in class. Teachers seem to think giving homework for after school will allow them to pertain knowledge somewhat better, but in reality going over it in class the next day will allow them to remember more and being in the same atmosphere will allow them to be more open. 

Research from Healthline, shows that some students regularly receive higher amounts of homework than experts recommend, which may cause stress and negative health effects.For kids in first grade, that means 10 minutes a night, while high school seniors could get two hours of work per night.homework over this level is not only not beneficial to children’s grades or GPA,this could affect them by their grades, their self-confidence, their social skills, and their quality of life

Extra assignments may lead to family stress, especially when parents with limited education aren’t confident in their ability to talk with the school about their child’s work.The researchers asked students whether they experienced physical symptoms of stress, such as headaches, exhaustion, sleep deprivation, weight loss, and stomach problems.More than 80% percent of students reported having at least one stress-related symptoms in the past month, and 44% percent said they had experienced three or more symptoms.

Levy, Sandra. “Why Homework Is Bad: Stress and Consequences.” Healthline, Healthline Media, 22 Aug. 2019, www.healthline.com/health-news/children-more-homework-means-more-stress-031114#1.